[Geany-devel] Devhelp Plugin for Ubuntu 11.10+

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Fri Oct 21 02:41:05 UTC 2011

Hi,

I guess newer Ubuntu versions don't come with libdevhelp-2.0 but instead
only libdevhelp-3.0 (for GTK+ 3).  The Devhelp plugin should be able to
work fine with libdevhelp-3.0, but I cannot test it and it won't work
anyway because Geany does not support GTK+ 3.

I was just looking into putting the source code for libdevhelp 2.32.0
(for GTK+ 2.0) statically into the Devhelp plugin's source tree and
making Geany Plugins' build system compile it straight into the Devhelp
plugin.  It's seems like it's going to be a pain and I'm not totally
sure I even want to do it.

So anyway, even if I go this route, I probably won't be able to get it
working and tested in time for packaging for Ubuntu 11.10+ of Geany
Plugins 0.21 so don't bother trying to get it working for these
packages.  It also won't work on Debian testing/unstable and probably
not on Win32 either.

If anyone wants to use the Devhelp plugin with these newer distros,
they'll have to install an older libdevhelp-2.0 package or compile
Devhelp <= 2.32.0 from source and then obviously build the Devhelp
plugin from Geany-Plugins' source.