[Geany-devel] Bumping Geany's GTK minimum requirement to 2.12

Colomban Wendling lists.ban at xxxxx
Mon May 9 13:19:50 UTC 2011

Le 08/05/2011 17:47, Enrico Tröger a écrit :
> On Wed, 4 May 2011 23:40:17 +0200, Jiří wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> Porting to GTK 3 is pretty straightforward but it really depends how
>> many GTK2-specific things Geany uses. I can have a look at it once a
>> GTK3-compatible Scintilla is used by Geany.
>
> I'm most afraid of GSEAL. Probably we'll need to have a bunch of
> wrapper functions because not all of the suggested accessor functions
> are available on older GTK versions. But this is probably just a little
> work to write these wrappers, nothing difficult to solve (I hope :D).

Yeah, sealed members might be the most important work from our side, but
faking accessors is quite easy (though boring to do). Basically,
something like

#if ! GTK_CHECK_VERSION(the-version, that-introduced, the-accessor)
#define gtk_some_accessor(w) ((w)->member)
#endif

The difficulties comes from:

1) finding the actual GTK version that introduced the accessor
2) the amount of accessors to fake

But before worrying, maybe trying to build with -DGSEAL_ENABLE is the
right thing to do ^^

Cheers,
Colomban