[Geany-devel] Bumping Geany's GTK minimum requirement to 2.12

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Wed May 4 22:24:39 UTC 2011

On 05/04/11 14:00, Enrico Tröger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> any objections in increasing the GTK minimum requirement of Geany to
> GTK 2.12 (and GLib 2.16)?
>
> This would make quite some code obsolete and so could be removed.
> Also, it would make it easier to migrate to using Glade 3 with
> GtkBuilder instead of Glade 2 (and in the long term makes getting
> compatible with GTK3 easier, but really, later :D). Though I'd like to
> do this step some time later. Also we could rely on GIO which came with
> GLib 2.16 which should remove some #ifdefs.
>
> I think the current minimum of GTK 2.8 can be increased as GTK 2.12 is
> already about three years old already.

I think it's a good idea.  If it helps I would be willing to scour a few
of the source files and remove obsolete code.  Just let me know.

It'd be great to switch to GtkBuilder some time, since Glade 2 is pretty
much DOA now (as Jiri mentionned, requires system header modifications
to build) and it's painful to use it.  IMO, doing that switch will be
quite a big task, but will make working on Geany's UI *much* easier.
The only downside is that Geany will have to ship with a separate XML
file for the UI, but it's not such a big deal.