[Geany-devel] Bumping Geany's GTK minimum requirement to 2.12

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Sun May 8 15:47:04 UTC 2011

On Wed, 4 May 2011 23:40:17 +0200, Jiří wrote:

>2. Compile a newer version of GTK themselves. This is what I do at
>work on SLES 9 (which ships with GTK 2.4). Basically you have to
>compile pkgconfig, freetype, fontconfig, glib, pixman, cairo, pango,
>atk and finally gtk. About 3 hours of work (of which 2.5 hours is
>browsing the web while waiting until it gets compiled).

Haha.

>Porting to GTK 3 is pretty straightforward but it really depends how
>many GTK2-specific things Geany uses. I can have a look at it once a
>GTK3-compatible Scintilla is used by Geany.

I'm most afraid of GSEAL. Probably we'll need to have a bunch of
wrapper functions because not all of the suggested accessor functions
are available on older GTK versions. But this is probably just a little
work to write these wrappers, nothing difficult to solve (I hope :D).