[Geany-devel] Just a stupid github question: How to merge a pull request with fast forward?

Frank Lanitz frank at xxxxx
Tue Dec 13 09:48:22 UTC 2011

Am 13.12.2011 10:33, schrieb Nathan Broadbent:
>>> You can't do a cherry pick or rebase through the front-end. I think
>>> adding this 'merge pull request' commit is a good idea, since it shows
>>> more information about where the commit came from.
>>
>> OK. So I assume its best practice also on github to do so?
>
> Yes, this is a best practice. It's also a best practice to add a
> 'merge' commit when merging in a feature branch, so that the branch's
> diversion is retained.
>
> Github's network graph [1] and gitk [2] are great tools for viewing
> this history, and you shouldn't worry too much about making the
> history as 'linear' as possible.

OK. got it ;)
Just want to keep a clean line :D

And another question: Is github allowing to do an automatic rebase for
forks?
E.g. I have forked geany-plugins into my namespace
https://github.com/frlan/geany-plugins
and want to keep it up to date. Do I need to to it locally with git
remote --add etc. or is there any gui for?

Cheers,
Frank