[Geany-devel] Just a stupid github question: How to merge a pull request with fast forward?

Nathan Broadbent nathan.f77 at xxxxx
Tue Dec 13 09:33:34 UTC 2011

> > You can't do a cherry pick or rebase through the front-end. I think
> > adding this 'merge pull request' commit is a good idea, since it shows
> > more information about where the commit came from.
>
> OK. So I assume its best practice also on github to do so?

Yes, this is a best practice. It's also a best practice to add a
'merge' commit when merging in a feature branch, so that the branch's
diversion is retained.

Github's network graph [1] and gitk [2] are great tools for viewing
this history, and you shouldn't worry too much about making the
history as 'linear' as possible.

[1] https://github.com/geany/geany-plugins/network
[2] http://lwn.net/Articles/140350/

Best regards,