[Geany-devel] Default Snippets

Erik de Castro Lopo mle+tools at xxxxx
Sun Dec 4 04:23:45 UTC 2011

Lex Trotman wrote:

> But if the level of interest is indicated by the responses, then not
> many people use these snippets,

I've been a Geany user for about 18 months. I code in C, C++, Ocaml
and Haskell regularly and touch dozens of other languages semi regularly.

Personally I think languages like Haskell don't really need snippets
as the language itself is already terse. However, the existing snippets
that work for C/C++/Java/etc are actually a pain in the neck when
coding Haskell.

In C and C++, the snippets don't get in my way, but I wouldn't miss
them if they weren't there.

For HTML and XML I actually do like the snippets. They're sane and
they help.

> so maybe it isn't worth the effort of
> either approach and just repeat things for now and possibly over time
> the definitions will diverge.

I think this will be the case.

> > Why keep an empty [Haskell] section?
>
> Again I expected proposals for some proper Haskell ones, but again
> looks like no-one uses snippets much.

The language is super terse, with little un-necessary punctuation.
I'd be happy with no snippets. If I find something that should be
a Haskell snippet I'll be sure to let you know.

Cheers,
Erik