[Geany-devel] Default Snippets

Ross McKay rosko at xxxxx
Sun Dec 4 11:16:56 UTC 2011

Lex Trotman wrote:

>[...]
>But if the level of interest is indicated by the responses, then not
>many people use these snippets, so maybe it isn't worth the effort of
>either approach and just repeat things for now and possibly over time
>the definitions will diverge.

I certainly use snippets, but not the standard ones you're talking
about. I use snippets for things I can't easily remember or are
laborious to type out. e.g. I have some lorem ipsum as a default snippet
under the key "lorem", cdata encapsulation for XML/HTML/PHP, and a bunch
of classic ASP stuff under HTML for when I'm forced to work on that old
crap because I can never remember how to use ADO prepared statements and
recordsets efficiently :)

So yes, from my perspective these common snippets aren't all that
interesting because they're so basic and not really all that much of a
time saver, at least for any programmer who can type as fast as they can
think. I wouldn't put too much effort into it.

As an aside, I reckon the most useful snippets would be regex search /
replace snippets, because they really do something. I've pushed a few
commonly typed regex search/replaces into (sh/sed|python) scripts that I
can call from Send Selection To, but I have too many to fit under that
list. So I still have a Cunning Plan (tm) to implement a regex snippets
plugin someday, unless some kind soul beats me to it (hint!)
--
Ross McKay, Toronto, NSW Australia
"It doesn't matter if the Rock wants to go get diamond rings or not!"