[Geany-devel] Adding a list of filetypes into devel documentation?

Frank Lanitz frank at xxxxx
Thu Aug 18 08:29:40 UTC 2011

On Thu, 18 Aug 2011 18:21:04 +1000
Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:

> > We talked about outdated distribution as e.g. Ubuntu LTS. A windows
> > dev could use latest stable release of plugins and Geany as
> > provided on homepage or nightly.
>
> You are right, windows stuff is under our control and shame on us if
> we get them out of sync.  BTW when is the Geany plugins release for
> Geany 0.21 going to be? :-D

I was thinking about short after 0.21 Geany release.

> But even so we shouldn't make the assumption that every Linux user is
> a C developer and shouldn't force them to be one if their distro is a
> bit behind, especially with plugin packages.

Well, there are only two possibilities that count IMHO:
1. compiling on their own: Once compiling your plugins package, you can
do also Geany
2. The distributor is providing recent Geany packages. So its his topic
to provide also fitting packages for the plugins. (most ikely just
recompiling against the Geany version he is offering)

We cannot offer packages for distributions and their different arch and
versions IMHO. Think of libc, glibc, gtk ....

> IIRC Suse has their factory where things can be built, not just for
> Suse, but for debian, fedora etc.  Those repos seem to have 0.18.1 and
> 0.20 for all versions but only plugins for 0.20.

I had a talk with a couple of people during the weekend (Chaos
Communication Camp) and well... their feedback was quiet unfriendly
about the build service. (As kids might also reading this list, I will
not translate the words they did use)

> OTOH I still use a distro based on Ubuntu LTS (10.04) but 0.20 is
> available in the package manager via the underlying debian packages.

So plugins are too I assume?

Cheers,
Frank
--