[Geany-devel] filetype-independent run command & keybinding - Re: SF.net SVN: geany:[5673] trunk/TODO

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Mon Apr 4 13:27:31 UTC 2011

On 4 April 2011 21:45, Nick Treleaven <nick.treleaven at btinternet.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Apr 2011 10:35:14 +1100
> Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> > add item: filetype-independent run command & keybinding.
>>
>> Hi Nick,
>>
>> Just to maybe save you some work.
>>
>> Remember that a run command in the users geany.conf or the project
>> (not project filetype) is filetype independent, just that there is no
>> GUI, you have to hand edit the conf files.  It would of course make
>
> I remember you mentioning that. But I think it should be a separate
> command from the filetype run command - i.e. a second menu item and
> keybinding.

Ok, don't forget that you already have two execute commands (to handle
Latex) and can add more by the hidden preference, and any command can
be filetype or filetype independent, whatever you use it as :) Or you
can hard code by setting the minimum number of execute commands to 3
in the initialiser for build_groups_count.

I think really we need to be able to set keybindings for all the
commands rather than hard wiring extra fixed ones, but IIRC the
problem was that none of us could ever think of a quick and easy way
of making the keybinding dialog handle variable numbers of commands.

But still, adding run2 and run3 is a short way for now, but that means
changing the GeanyBuildType enum which is used to activate the correct
menu item. But that enum is used in lots of places.  If you do change
it, you should check that nothing depends on the order of those
(besides the obvious one commented just before the enum :).

>> the GUI more complex (and maybe less usable?) to be able to do this.
>> I would love to have the time to re-address that !@#$%^& GUI.
>
> I think if we implement the TODO item we should divide the dialog into
> 2 notebook tabs:
>
> Filetype commands
> Independent commands
>
> Another option would be to divide into: