[Geany-devel] filetype-independent run command & keybinding - Re: SF.net SVN: geany:[5673] trunk/TODO

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Mon Apr 4 16:18:38 UTC 2011

On Mon, 4 Apr 2011 23:27:31 +1000
Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Hi Nick,
> >>
> >> Just to maybe save you some work.
> >>
> >> Remember that a run command in the users geany.conf or the project
> >> (not project filetype) is filetype independent, just that there is no
> >> GUI, you have to hand edit the conf files.  It would of course make
> >
> > I remember you mentioning that. But I think it should be a separate
> > command from the filetype run command - i.e. a second menu item and
> > keybinding.
>
> Ok, don't forget that you already have two execute commands (to handle
> Latex) and can add more by the hidden preference, and any command can
> be filetype or filetype independent, whatever you use it as :) Or you
> can hard code by setting the minimum number of execute commands to 3
> in the initialiser for build_groups_count.

For build we have a separate group for filetype and independent
commands. I think the same would be good for run commands for symmetry,
and this makes sense if we split the dialog as I mentioned below.

> I think really we need to be able to set keybindings for all the
> commands rather than hard wiring extra fixed ones, but IIRC the
> problem was that none of us could ever think of a quick and easy way
> of making the keybinding dialog handle variable numbers of commands.

This isn't about hard-wiring. The idea was to have a separate
independent run command. It would actually be a separate command group.

> >> the GUI more complex (and maybe less usable?) to be able to do this.
> >> I would love to have the time to re-address that !@#$%^& GUI.
> >
> > I think if we implement the TODO item we should divide the dialog into
> > 2 notebook tabs:
> >
> > Filetype commands
> > Independent commands
> >
> > Another option would be to divide into: