[Geany-devel] Upgrading to glade 3 - Re: Glade 2.12 won't build with recent GTK

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Sat Sep 11 01:31:47 UTC 2010

On 10 September 2010 21:30, Nick Treleaven
<nick.treleaven at btinternet.com> wrote:

>> > Interesting.

>> > I think the dependency issue isn't too important. We need to have a UI
>> > designer IMO and glade2 needs replacing.
>> >
>> > Maybe it's time to upgrade (after the next release?).
>>
>> Indeed, maybe its time to think about the whole UI implementation, eg
>> using UIManager for the menu & toolbar which helps with integration of
>> plugin extensions and allows things like build systems to add to them
>> easily :-).
>
> Not sure if it's worth rewriting, but I haven't used UIManager.

Oh, it would only be worth it when making a big change like moving to
libglade, but its worth a thought then.

> A similar situation: I think using Stash for prefs everywhere would be
> much cleaner, but no one really wants to make the change, and it could
> introduce bugs.

Yes, and new contributors don't understand about stash and (gently) I
think it could use a bit more documentation, I'm still confused how it
relates to the widgets & how it handles non-static things like
variable numbers of build commands? (which is why I don't use it)

>> And maybe (not really important) clean up some of the extraneous 1s in
>> the names.
>
> If Glade 3 still puts 1 on the end of widget names by default then
> every time a widget was added we'd have to remember to edit the name.

Or remember to put the 1 in all references in the code, six of one
half a dozen of the other :-)