[Geany-devel] Upgrading to glade 3 - Re: Glade 2.12 won't build with recent GTK

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Fri Sep 10 11:30:36 UTC 2010

On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 09:50:51 +1000
Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Note that Glade 3.7 (current) claims to support GTK2.8
> >
> > Interesting.
> >
> >> but only via
> >> libglade loading XML, not code generation like interface.c.  That
> >> would entail a major change in Geany and another dependency
> >> (libglade).
> >
> > I think the dependency issue isn't too important. We need to have a UI
> > designer IMO and glade2 needs replacing.
> >
> > Maybe it's time to upgrade (after the next release?).
>
> Indeed, maybe its time to think about the whole UI implementation, eg
> using UIManager for the menu & toolbar which helps with integration of
> plugin extensions and allows things like build systems to add to them
> easily :-).

Not sure if it's worth rewriting, but I haven't used UIManager.

A similar situation: I think using Stash for prefs everywhere would be
much cleaner, but no one really wants to make the change, and it could
introduce bugs.

> And maybe (not really important) clean up some of the extraneous 1s in
> the names.

If Glade 3 still puts 1 on the end of widget names by default then
every time a widget was added we'd have to remember to edit the name.

Regards,
Nick