[Geany-devel] Hi

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Mon Nov 1 10:14:10 UTC 2010

On 1 November 2010 18:30, Yura Siamashka <yurand2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Nov 2010 07:54:56 +0530
> shan chak <shankholove at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> Can anyone please help me in following things:
>>
>> 1. I believe the source control is svn?
>
> Yes
>
>> 2. Which are the libraries ( not standard C ones ) being used in geany?I
>> figured out gtk+ 2, are there any more libraries ?
>
> Other libraries are embedded in Geany (scintilla, tagmanager).
>
>> 3. Can anybody mentor me?
>
> Probably, no. If you have any questions about development just ask them here.
>
>> 4. There is a lot of auto-generated code in geany, can I get a stripped
>> source code which I can compile with plain gcc and and not use autogen.sh?
>> It becomes a lot easier to understand then.

You really do need to use build tools because your changes need to fit
into the existing builds, either autofools (which in the end you only
have to run autogen.sh once then just make install) or waf.

If you are not happy changing the build tools, just make changes only
to existing files and the existing builds will work.  There is still
plenty of scope with that restriction, I know the havoc I've created
:-)

> If you really don't like autotools you can use waf.
>
>> 5. Which is the better way to start a) try to reproduce some bugs then
>> create a patch or b) implement some requested feature?
>
> See what you really want to add to Geany or fix bug that annoy you. (if you start working on something you don't need enthusiasm will expire very quickly)

Good advice.

>> 6. Can I be assigned a bug or a feature request? OR is this voluntary?how
>> does this works?
>
> Just fix it and send a patch here.

But if its more than a few lines, it is better to drop a mail here
when you start so people know you are working on it and we don't get
two people fixing the same problem.

Finally, it is not just a good idea to read the hacking file, it is
really important that you do and *follow* its advice.  But don't worry
too much about making mistakes.