[Geany-devel] [geany-plugins] questions about the geany-plugins build system

Colomban Wendling lists.ban at xxxxx
Sat May 22 15:17:58 UTC 2010

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to move my plugin (geanygendoc) into geany-plugins, but I
have some problems porting the build system -- not used to it.

The thing is that I have data files to install. In my current external
build system, I install them into $(geany_datadir)/plugins/geanygendoc,
I think it is probably the good place. Yes, no?
Anyway, in the geany-plugins build system, I don't see anything already
in place to simplify data installation. And even $(datadir) points out
of a Geany directory, actually $(prefix)/share, which makes me install
my data in ${prefix}/share/geanygendoc, which is quite ugly IMO. Ah, and
the second problem which prevents plugin-specific hack is the DATADIR
defined in vars.build.mk that also points to $(prefix)/share.
I'd think there should be a $(plugindatadir) variable that points to
$(prefix)/share/$(plugin), probably defined by a vars.data.mk.

Then, what should I do?

Ah, and is there a quick guide explaining how the build system works/how
to add a plugin to it? I feel the .mk include stuff quite elegant but
I've some problem to understand it right I think.

Thanks,
Colomban