[Geany-devel] About translation of plugin name and description

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Fri May 14 16:24:31 UTC 2010

On Fri, 14 May 2010 18:17:36 +0200, Colomban wrote:

> > > Hum, more seriously: I already tried (by using direct gettext
> > > calls) and yes -- I would say of course -- it works fine. Even
> > > better, you succeeded to make me hack Geany in order to implement
> > > it directly (see attached patch) and yes again, it works well
> > > (and don't need so much code change finally).
> > > In practice, I moved geany_functions and geany_data assignation
> > > from plugin_init() to plugin_new() for them to be set before the
> > > call to plugin_set_info(); and added the
> > > PLUGIN_SET_TRANSLATABLE_INFO() macro that calls
> > > main_locale_init() before setting the info fileds.
> >
> > Awesome.
> > That looks fine to me and it works well.
> > I didn't expect it to be that easy.
> Me neither. Before actually looking at this I guessed it to be a quite
> hard piece; but I will not complain that it wasn't true :)

Haha.

> > > Eugene also suggested a way -- he qualified ugly -- to integrate
> > > this to the current API, based on checking if LOCALEDIR and
> > > GETTEXT_PACKAGE are set. I don't think this is that ugly:
> > > * Most plugins with translations probably already use these
> > > constants names since they are quite conventional;
> > > * If these constants are defined, it is very unlikely the plugin
> > > won't setup i18n.
> >
> > Your solution seems cleaner to me.
> Same for me, but it needs a little (well, really small) work from
> plugin authors. But it is probably small enough not to be a problem.

I think that change this is now necessary is really reasonable. And
nothing will break if they don't use it (for whatever reason).

> > > And finally, on the thread I see that you (global) say that when
> > > the plugin gets loaded, the name and description are translated?
> > > I don't
> >
> > I think this is true only for plugins shipped with Geany itself as
> > those use Geany's gettext domain.
> Well… for them, why wouldn't they be translated even before being
> loaded then? Still strange to me :/

Because those plugins don't have a separate message catalogue but
instead use the one from Geany, i.e. all strings within those plugins
are already loaded once you start Geany.