[Geany-devel] project filetype commands - Re: project build dialog

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Thu Jun 10 15:36:51 UTC 2010

On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 22:59:11 +1000
Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Then I would suggest that there are no per-project filetype commands
> >> and you just copy the global ones. In project you care about a set of
> >> files so global/general/non-filetype options are the ones you want to
> >> change. This seems to be the most reasonable solution now.
> >
> > I have argued that project filetype commands are useful, but you have a
> > good argument here. Perhaps the complexity is not worth it when project
> > non-filetype commands could suffice.
>
> You could probably make an argument that non-filetype commands are
> sufficient for C/C++ and other "building a big thing" type languages,
> but other filetypes supported by Geany are more centred around the
> individual file.
>
> And don't think just in terms of compile/link type operations.
>
> I don't think that the potential uses of filetype commands have been
> explored much, even for C/C++ there is code analysis tools,
> prettyfiers, hey I'm giving myself ideas here..
>
> And then it becomes important to be able to configure them per
> project.  Also don't think of it as one project file per source tree,

The point was that if you want to override the non-project filetype
commands you could do that with project non-filetype commands.

It might be less nice to use though, so I'm not suggesting implementing
it, just thinking out loud a bit.

> I'm using multiple project files to save the differing configurations
> when using differing tool sets for the same source tree.
>
> We also have the filetype dependent execute commands to consider,
> pointing to the executables in the build directory rather than in the
> source directory is likely to be common.

I think of those grouped in with filetype commands, they just do
different things :-p

> > I also like the copying non-project commands into the project idea.
>
> Makes the whole thing easier to implement of course, but then for the
> common things, the user has to change it in all project files.
>
> I don't think its a good idea for filetype commands though, and even
> for the executes it is a bit of a load copying all languages just to
> edit one.

I wasn't suggesting copying those into the project file, but only if we
didn't have project filetype commands (and project filetype execute
commands - phew).

Regards,
Nick