[Geany-devel] Broken plugin autofools (Was: [ANNOUNCE] gproject - yet another geany project plugin)

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Thu Jun 10 07:41:13 UTC 2010

On 10 June 2010 16:23, Chow Loong Jin <hyperair at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 11:16:53 +1000
> Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Chow,
>>
>> remembering that I'm AC_illiterate :) the problem seems to be that
>> plugins configure where they install based on where geany's pkg-config
>> says, ignoring what the --prefix option says.
>>
>> The --prefix should override the standard location
>
> Ah yes, there was that issue. My intention was for it to use Geany's prefix,
> simply because there really isn't a point in stuffing plugins where you don't
> have a Geany installation. e.g. Geany in /usr, but geany-plugins at /usr/local
> would cause some confusion. Hence, what was done was:
>
> 1. autodetect Geany's ${pkglibdir} and install plugins in there.

Oh yes thats correct for system installed versions.

> 2. Allow manual specification of Geany's prefix by
> --with-geany-prefix=/some/other/path

Ahhh, I'd never heard of the --with-geany-prefix option, that would be
why I didn't use it.

> Come to think of it, I don't really remember why I wanted to use
> --with-geany-prefix separately from --prefix. Perhaps --with-geany-prefix's
> functionality should be shifted to --prefix instead. What do you think? That
> should fix all your issues.

Yes I think that would do it, thanks,

I guess I am expecting that if I configured a version of Geany with
--prefix then plugins configured the same would link with the ABI and
install in the directories of the Geany with the same --prefix.

For testing a plugin like Jiri's which needs a modified version of
Geany to run, it needs to use the version of Geany with the patches in
it, not the system install.