[Geany-devel] Broken plugin autofools (Was: [ANNOUNCE] gproject - yet another geany project plugin)

Chow Loong Jin hyperair at xxxxx
Thu Jun 10 07:52:53 UTC 2010

On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 17:41:13 +1000
Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10 June 2010 16:23, Chow Loong Jin <hyperair at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 11:16:53 +1000
> > Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Chow,
> >>
> >> remembering that I'm AC_illiterate :) the problem seems to be that
> >> plugins configure where they install based on where geany's pkg-config
> >> says, ignoring what the --prefix option says.
> >>
> >> The --prefix should override the standard location
> >
> > Ah yes, there was that issue. My intention was for it to use Geany's prefix,
> > simply because there really isn't a point in stuffing plugins where you
> > don't have a Geany installation. e.g. Geany in /usr, but geany-plugins
> > at /usr/local would cause some confusion. Hence, what was done was:
> >
> > 1. autodetect Geany's ${pkglibdir} and install plugins in there.
>
> Oh yes thats correct for system installed versions.
>
> > 2. Allow manual specification of Geany's prefix by
> > --with-geany-prefix=/some/other/path
>
> Ahhh, I'd never heard of the --with-geany-prefix option, that would be
> why I didn't use it.
>

> > Come to think of it, I don't really remember why I wanted to use
> > --with-geany-prefix separately from --prefix. Perhaps --with-geany-prefix's
> > functionality should be shifted to --prefix instead. What do you think? That
> > should fix all your issues.
>
> Yes I think that would do it, thanks,
>
> I guess I am expecting that if I configured a version of Geany with
> --prefix then plugins configured the same would link with the ABI and
> install in the directories of the Geany with the same --prefix.
>
> For testing a plugin like Jiri's which needs a modified version of
> Geany to run, it needs to use the version of Geany with the patches in
> it, not the system install.

Actually I think it's now --with-geany-libdir, since ${libdir} is not
necessarily /usr/lib on all platforms. But it's broken, since I forgot to
change one instance of "geany-prefix" to "geany-libdir" in geany.m4. I'll
fix it immediately, for the time being. I'll implement the changes I mentioned
after 0.19 is out.

--
Kind regards,
Chow Loong Jin