[Geany-devel] Intro (and apology)

Tony Rick tonyr at xxxxx
Fri Feb 19 05:51:32 UTC 2010

On 02/18/2010 02:15 PM, Lex Trotman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am assuming that you are talking about file templates.

You assume correctly.

> AFAIK the directories are only scanned & the menu created at startup,
> so thats why restart is needed.  Because its only needed if you add or
> remove a template, not when editing an existing one, no one has been
> irritated enough to do anything about it :-)

(see below)

> I suggest that the simplest start point would be to add a re-scan menu
> item to the templates menu itself.  It would just need to destroy and
> re-create the menu. As I said its not needed very often so the effort
> for automatic update probably isn't worth it.
Already exists, to wit:

In v0.17 and v0.18, the template file list available in 'File->New (with
Template)' is updated by when Tools->Reload Configuration is selected.
The same is true for modified existing template files.  Geany does not
need to be restarted to update the menus and re-populate the internal
templates list.  The documentation does not reflect this new behavior,
and in fact still says that Geany must be restarted to become aware of
new custom templates.  It just ain't so.  (I'm looking at revision 4674,
v0.17 source, and v0.18 source; revision 4674 seems leaner and cleaner.)

The feature request, if I interpret it correctly,  was for a new menu
under Tools that listed all  template files so that they could be
selected for editing, rather than climbing down through the directory
browser to find them.  That is what I was proposing to work on.

- tony