[Geany-devel] Intro (and apology)

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Fri Feb 19 06:49:14 UTC 2010

On 19 February 2010 16:51, Tony Rick <tonyr at hevanet.com> wrote:

> On 02/18/2010 02:15 PM, Lex Trotman wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am assuming that you are talking about file templates.
>>
>>  You assume correctly.
>

>> AFAIK the directories are only scanned & the menu created at startup, so
>> thats why restart is needed.  Because its only needed if you add or remove a
>> template, not when editing an existing one, no one has been irritated enough
>> to do anything about it :-)
>>
>>  (see below)
>

>> I suggest that the simplest start point would be to add a re-scan menu
>> item to the templates menu itself.  It would just need to destroy and
>> re-create the menu. As I said its not needed very often so the effort for
>> automatic update probably isn't worth it.
>>
> Already exists, to wit:
>
> In v0.17 and v0.18, the template file list available in 'File->New (with
> Template)' is updated by when Tools->Reload Configuration is selected.   The
> same is true for modified existing template files.  Geany does not need to
> be restarted to update the menus and re-populate the internal templates
> list.  The documentation does not reflect this new behavior, and in fact
> still says that Geany must be restarted to become aware of new custom
> templates.  It just ain't so.  (I'm looking at revision 4674, v0.17 source,
> and v0.18 source; revision 4674 seems leaner and cleaner.)

You are right about that, I didn't look deep enough, and the manual in SVN
still says restart needed, feel free to submit a patch to fix the manual, or
even just some words in an email to this ml.

> The feature request, if I interpret it correctly,  was for a new menu under
> Tools that listed all  template files so that they could be selected for
> editing, rather than climbing down through the directory browser to find
> them.  That is what I was proposing to work on.

Looking at it again, yes I agree with your interpretation.  Since the tools
menu is often extended by plugins maybe the templates need to be a sub-menu
rather than populating the top level tools menu with all the standard and
(unknown number of) user defined templates.  What do others think?