[Geany-devel] Intro (and apology)

Tony Rick tonyr at xxxxx
Thu Feb 18 19:58:38 UTC 2010

Hi.  I'm Tony Rick, and I hit the wrong list for requesting the 'help'
response the first time.

I'm in Portland Oregon, where a lot of programmers like me are 'at
liberty' and looking for things to do.  I'm currently helping teach a
Beginning C Programming class at a local computer hardware recycling
non-profit organization, FreeGeek.  (Maybe you've heard of it,
http://www.freegeek.org  if not).  The class is using Geany v0.14 on
Debian Lenny, which will update to 0.17 with a backports repository
enabled.  One of the questions that came up in class was about the GPL
license in the header being a visual irritant.  I explained briefly
about editing templates,  but having them updated requires a Geany
restart in that version. I scanned the mailing list archives and
features list and template management issues have been raised before.

One of the features requests (2925273, from arquebus), requested a
templates file selection item in the Tools menu.  I thought I might
start there.  I haven't figured out yet what the criteria are for
deciding what should be psrt of the core and what should be a plugin.
I also discovered that custom templates do not appear automatically when
saved.  The Documentation indicates that this requires a Geany restart
also, but the 'Reload Configuration' tool does indeed add them.  I'm not
sure whether this is a bug (templates and related menus should be
updated when files are modified, like configuration files), or a
serendipitous feature that simply 'came along with' Reload
Configuration,  or should be mentioned in the Templates section of the
documentation (which it currently does not, IIRC).

My original thought was to use GIO and monitor the templates directory
for changes, but I saw several posts about problems with GIO and
detecting remote file changes and the use of the GIO compiler
conditional, and so assumed that the Reload Configuration method had
been chosen as an interrim solution, and that GIO file change detection
was on hold until the remote file issue had been resolved.

- tony