[Geany-devel] Opening files with command-line (was: Questions about Geany project support)

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Sun Feb 7 18:59:23 UTC 2010

On Sun, 7 Feb 2010 12:40:28 +0300, Eugene wrote:

Heya,

>1. If user opens a project, all other filenames passed via command-line
>are ignored (see main.c:load_startup_files()). Why?

I guess the reason was related to the current behaviour you described
below. Otherwise, I'm not sure.

>2. There is a related bug-report: [1]. Currently a command like "geany
>file.txt" does not open default session. I think the proposed
>behaviour (default session SHOULD be opened) is better.
>
>With current version it's impossible to force the session to be
>opened, while with proposed behaviour everything is simple: if you
>want the session to be opened, type "geany file.txt"; if you don't,
>type "geany -s file.txt".
>
>To be precise, with current version default session IS opened, but its
>files not. That means, the default session is overwritten after Geany
>is closed. A user may not like that (like any other
>unpredictable destructive behaviour).
>
>The new behaviour is backward-incompatible, so maybe(?) it's worth
>providing a hidden option to turn on the new behaviour, like Nick
>suggested in the comments to the bug-report.
>
>Any thoughts? If anyone votes for the new behaviour, I can implement it
>(in SM branch).

I don't mind much but having a preferences (even a GUI pref) probably
won't hurt and if you like to implement it in your branch, even better
(maybe just skip the GUI pref part for now).

Other opinions?