[Geany-devel] Opening files with command-line (was: Questions about Geany project support)

Eugene Arshinov earshinov at xxxxx
Sun Feb 7 09:40:28 UTC 2010

Hi all. Another bunch of questions is here.

1. If user opens a project, all other filenames passed via command-line
are ignored (see main.c:load_startup_files()). Why?

2. There is a related bug-report: [1]. Currently a command like "geany
file.txt" does not open default session. I think the proposed
behaviour (default session SHOULD be opened) is better.

With current version it's impossible to force the session to be
opened, while with proposed behaviour everything is simple: if you
want the session to be opened, type "geany file.txt"; if you don't,
type "geany -s file.txt".

To be precise, with current version default session IS opened, but its
files not. That means, the default session is overwritten after Geany
is closed. A user may not like that (like any other
unpredictable destructive behaviour).

The new behaviour is backward-incompatible, so maybe(?) it's worth
providing a hidden option to turn on the new behaviour, like Nick
suggested in the comments to the bug-report.

Any thoughts? If anyone votes for the new behaviour, I can implement it
(in SM branch).

[1]
<http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=2838686&group_id=153444&atid=787791>

Best regards,