[Geany-devel] Open files in Geany at the same workspace

Dimitar Zhekov dimitar.zhekov at xxxxx
Tue Aug 10 11:42:03 UTC 2010

On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 12:43:24 +0300
Dimitar Zhekov <dimitar.zhekov at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 8 Aug 2010 17:12:52 +1000
> Erik de Castro Lopo <mle+tools at mega-nerd.com> wrote:
>
> > An updated version of my patch is attached.
>
> Problematic. The patch per se is fine, but...
>
> I have two Geany-s open: one on ws0, and another on ws1. After
> restarting, they both connect to socket ws#, where # is the workspace
> that was active when I was logging out. [...]
>
> Seems that my xfce session manager / window manager restarts
> the applications using the root window on ws#. That may be to speedup
> the session start or view ws# ASAP. [...]

Follow-up. I had to remember a few things, which are best forgotten...

You see, in XSMP, there is no such thing as "run a program on a
specific workspace". The program is just started, then it connects to
the sm and is recognized as a previous session client, and then some
attributes (including workspace) are applied to the next window it
opens - usually the application's first window, but may be preceded by
a login window, splash screen etc. before the sm connection.

So, while the desktop environment can run a program on the "proper"
workspace, that's not a requirement, and the workspace should normally
be handled as described above. You really can't get Geany's ws# on
session restart without the main geany window...

--
E-gards: Jimmy