[Geany-devel] [patch] Improved documents list sorting
enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Tue Apr 27 15:11:17 UTC 2010
On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 16:54:48 +0200, Enrico wrote:
>On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 15:42:25 +0200, Colomban wrote:
>>As some of you might have noticed, the sorting in the "Documents" side
>>panel is not perfect when extensions are involved. For example, if you
>>have the three files a.c, a.h and a-b.c, they will be sorted in the
>>following order :
>> a.c, a-b.c, a.h
>>rather than :
>> a.c, a.h, a-b.c
>>This is a little annoying to find the a.h file.
>>As you expected, I've written a patch to fix this, an I propose it
>>here. Hum, well no: I've written two different patches. Why? Both have
>>advantages and inconveniences over the other.
>>Both use g_utf8_collate_key_for_filename() to get a clever sort, which
>>fixes the problem I spoken above, and also sorts 1, 2 and 10
>>numerically rather than alphabetically - thus we have 1, 2, 10 and not
>>1, 10, 2.
>>The difference between the two patches is the way thy integrate in
>>This one is small, almost no code changes, and don't persistently use
>>more memory. But OTHO, it computes the collate key of both names to
>>compare each and every time the sort function is called.
>>This one is probably faster, but persistently use a little more
>>memory: it computes the collate key only when adding the item, and
>>stores it in the tree model.
>>Another "advantage" of it is that it easily allow to use different
>>collate functions for files and directories - not sure it is useful.
>>Then, there are the two patches, I let you chose/discuss the one is
>>the better if you're interested.
>Then, I'm no sure.
>It might be better to take the more memory to get a little more speed,
>i.e. to not loose too much speed :(.
>Sorting of the list happens on each newly opened document and maybe on
>closing documents and even when switching tabs as I just noticed while
We don't re-sort on closing documents.
So, in contrary to my previous opinion, I'd vote to go the easy way and
compute the keys on each run instead of polluting the memory.
>testing. Though re-sorting the list on tab switching seems weird, maybe
>there is a reason but without looking into it, it feels like a bug.
>I'm not yet sure. Maybe we first should try to reduce sorting attempts
>to a minimum...:).
Ok, the re-sorting on tab switching was wrong and should be fixed in
SVN now. Not strictly related to whole topic but nice that we found it
by talking about the topic :).
Get my GPG key from http://www.uvena.de/pub.asc
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Size: 198 bytes
Desc: not available
More information about the Devel