[Geany-devel] [patch] Improved documents list sorting

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Tue Apr 27 14:54:48 UTC 2010

On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 15:42:25 +0200, Colomban wrote:

>Hi!

Ho!

>As some of you might have noticed, the sorting in the "Documents" side
>panel is not perfect when extensions are involved. For example, if you
>have the three files a.c, a.h and a-b.c, they will be sorted in the
>following order [1]:
>  a.c, a-b.c, a.h
>rather than [2]:
>  a.c, a.h, a-b.c
>This is a little annoying to find the a.h file.
>
>As you expected, I've written a patch to fix this, an I propose it
>here. Hum, well no: I've written two different patches. Why? Both have
>advantages and inconveniences over the other.
>Both use g_utf8_collate_key_for_filename() to get a clever sort, which
>fixes the problem I spoken above, and also sorts 1, 2 and 10
>numerically rather than alphabetically - thus we have 1, 2, 10 and not
>1, 10, 2.
>
>The difference between the two patches is the way thy integrate in
>Geany.
>
>0001-improved-documents-sorting.diff:
>This one is small, almost no code changes, and don't persistently use
>more memory. But OTHO, it computes the collate key of both names to
>compare each and every time the sort function is called.
>
>0001-improved-documents-sorting-2.diff:
>This one is probably faster, but persistently use a little more memory:
>it computes the collate key only when adding the item, and stores it in
>the tree model.
>Another "advantage" of it is that it easily allow to use different
>collate functions for files and directories - not sure it is useful.
>
>Then, there are the two patches, I let you chose/discuss the one is the
>better if you're interested.

First: thanks.

Then, I'm no sure.
It might be better to take the more memory to get a little more speed,
i.e. to not loose too much speed :(.
Sorting of the list happens on each newly opened document and maybe on
closing documents and even when switching tabs as I just noticed while
testing. Though re-sorting the list on tab switching seems weird, maybe
there is a reason but without looking into it, it feels like a bug.

I'm not yet sure. Maybe we first should try to reduce sorting attempts
to a minimum...:).