[Geany-devel] [patch] Improved documents list sorting

Colomban Wendling lists.ban at xxxxx
Tue Apr 27 16:05:05 UTC 2010

Enrico Tröger a écrit :
> On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 16:54:48 +0200, Enrico wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 15:42:25 +0200, Colomban wrote:
>>
>>> Hi!
>> Ho!
Hey!

>> It might be better to take the more memory to get a little more speed,
>> i.e. to not loose too much speed :(.
>> Sorting of the list happens on each newly opened document and maybe on
>> closing documents and even when switching tabs as I just noticed while
>
> We don't re-sort on closing documents.
> So, in contrary to my previous opinion, I'd vote to go the easy way and
> compute the keys on each run instead of polluting the memory.
I just did naive and inexact benchmarks (with a watch, haha), and it
seems that the naive solution is not so slow (tested with "only" 300
files: 122s vs 125s [1]); and the more complex solution seems to be as
fast as without any special sorting function.
So I think I'll vote too for the naive solution - and anyway, is there
anybody here that uses an editor with 300 files at once?

Offtopic:
But but but… opening 300 empty files with no filetype (loaded as None)
took more than 120s! Even though Gedit took 89s to load the same 300
files, I think there is a little problem somewhere. Investigating this
would be interesting.

> Ok, the re-sorting on tab switching was wrong and should be fixed in
> SVN now. Not strictly related to whole topic but nice that we found it
> by talking about the topic :).
Nice one :)

Regards,
Colomban

[1] But this is not precise, might be actually 123s vs. 124s…