[Geany-devel] Unicode code entry

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Thu Sep 24 16:47:03 UTC 2009

On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 09:35:32 +1000, Lex wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am having difficulty with Unicode code point insertion.  Basically
>it doesn't work and I can't see how it could as described in the
>manual.
>
>I have control-Shift-u undefined, but since on_key_press_event catches
>keybindings before they get to GTK, all control-shift keybindings for
>hex characters (a-f)  must be undefined.  This means many of the find

Ouch.
I guess I never noticed it as I use always Ctrl-Shift-Alt-u for some
reason, not sure whether it worked only this way long time or whether
it is because I could never remember the exact key combo and so just
pressed all :).
Regarding a solution, two things come to my mind:
a) we add some more super magic to the keypress handler function trying
to detect if the user is currently at inserting an unicode sequence and
then ignore other keybindings until finished
b) we mention in the manual that Ctrl-Shift-Alt is preferred as it
prevents unintentional triggering of defined shortcuts

But well, b) is only of limit use as it still would trigger shortcuts
defined as Ctrl-Shift-Alt-[a-f].
a) might be a solution but has some potential to get quite hacky.

Does anyone has an idea for a solution c)?  :)

>keybindings must be undefined. But even then, with control-shift held
>digits are seen as !@#$%^&*() and rejected.

Can't reproduce this here, even with Ctrl-Shift pressed, digits are
still digits.

>Am I doing something wrong or has the behaviour changed?

Not sure. I could imagine this has happened since the beginning but
just nobody noticed it.
At least I usually test this just with digits though I probably will
change my behaviour in testing now that you mentioned it :).