[Geany-devel] Unicode code entry

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Fri Sep 25 01:12:07 UTC 2009

2009/9/25 Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de>:
> On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 09:35:32 +1000, Lex wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I am having difficulty with Unicode code point insertion.  Basically
>>it doesn't work and I can't see how it could as described in the
>>manual.
>>
>>I have control-Shift-u undefined, but since on_key_press_event catches
>>keybindings before they get to GTK, all control-shift keybindings for
>>hex characters (a-f)  must be undefined.  This means many of the find
>
> Ouch.
> I guess I never noticed it as I use always Ctrl-Shift-Alt-u for some
> reason, not sure whether it worked only this way long time or whether
> it is because I could never remember the exact key combo and so just
> pressed all :).

Perfectly reasonable, but unfortunately that doesn't work for me either :-(

> Regarding a solution, two things come to my mind:
> a) we add some more super magic to the keypress handler function trying
> to detect if the user is currently at inserting an unicode sequence and
> then ignore other keybindings until finished
> b) we mention in the manual that Ctrl-Shift-Alt is preferred as it
> prevents unintentional triggering of defined shortcuts
>
> But well, b) is only of limit use as it still would trigger shortcuts
> defined as Ctrl-Shift-Alt-[a-f].
> a) might be a solution but has some potential to get quite hacky.
>
> Does anyone has an idea for a solution c)?  :)
>

>>keybindings must be undefined. But even then, with control-shift held
>>digits are seen as !@#$%^&*() and rejected.
>
> Can't reproduce this here, even with Ctrl-Shift pressed, digits are
> still digits.

Hmmm, weirder & weirder I uncommented the geany debug in
key_press_event & typed into an empty document (not entering Unicode,
just typing) got the following, # comments are mine

** INFO: 65507 (65507) 0 (16)     # Press & hold Ctrl
** INFO: 65505 (65505) 4 (20)     # Press & hold shift
** INFO: 33 (33) 5 (21)                 # Press 1 keycode 33 is !
state 5 is Ctrl&Shift shows as !
** INFO: 64 (64) 5 (21)                 # Press 2 keycode 64 is @
state 5 is Ctrl&Shift but does not show anything !!!!!!!!!!
** INFO: 35 (35) 5 (21)                 # Press 3 keycode 35 is #
state 5 is Ctrl&Shift shows #
** INFO: 36 (36) 5 (21)                 # Press 4 keycode 36 is $
state 5 is Ctrl&Shift shows $
** INFO: 37 (37) 5 (21)                 # Press 5 keycode 37 is %
state 5 is Ctrl&Shift shows %
** INFO: 94 (94) 5 (21)                 # Press 6 keycode 94 is ^
state 5 is Ctrl&Shift but does not show anything !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
** INFO: 38 (38) 5 (21)                 # Press 7 keycode 38 is &
state 5 is Ctrl&Shift  shows &
** INFO: 42 (42) 5 (21)                 # Press 8 keycode 42 is *
state 5 is Ctrl&Shift  shows *
** INFO: 40 (40) 5 (21)                 # Press 9 keycode 40 is (
state 5 is Ctrl&Shift shows (
** INFO: 41 (41) 5 (21)                 # Press 0 keycode 41 is )
state 5 is Ctrl&Shift shows )
*

So there is no way that they could be interpreted as digits, they are
all punctuation keycodes???  Could the difference be due to different
keyboard maps because you have a European keyboard and I have a US
ASCII keyboard?? And why arn't @ and ^ inserted into the file??

I am confused.

PS Found a workaround for entering Unicode using the Gnome character
map, but its very invasive.