[Geany-devel] Crash on Geany r4171 during pushing F5 for viewing LaTeX/PDF with evince

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Fri Sep 11 09:25:08 UTC 2009

2009/9/11 Frank Lanitz <frank at frank.uvena.de>:
> On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 16:34:51 +1000
> Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> 2009/9/11 Frank Lanitz <frank at frank.uvena.de>:

>> > With r4176 its not crashing any more - good ;)
>> > But a bit annoying is, that the VTE is getting active.
>>
>> I presume you mean that the command is run in the VTE.
>>
>> That is because it is an "execute" command which is normally used to
>> execute the results of compiling your program, so it is run in a
>> terminal so you can see any output it might generate.
>
> It happens in both sitaution, with option turned on / turned off.

I assume you mean skip-run-script option, this just runs the
executable directly or via a little script that keeps the execute
window open after the command is run, so any messages are visible.
Its more useful for running in an external terminal window which will
close when done than it is when running in vte.

 Maybe
> I'm getting used to it in future, but I didn't had this behavior in
> past on my local setup.

If you mean before the build system update, then there was a lot of
special coding just for latex, including the second special run
command.  I don't have a pre-build-system update version of the code
around to see what it did but I suspect from your description that it
ran the program without a terminal.

In discussions with Enrico prior to the build-system changes he was
happy to remove all the special handling for latex, including the
second run command because he didn't think that it was common to use
both DVI and PDF at the same time.

In fact originally the build-system update was only going to have one
run command in total but I added more because I had a use for them and
so was also able to restore both latex view commands, although without
the special handling as you are seeing.

The problem is because latex has different semantics for "running" it
to other languages (like C).
I wonder how many other languages have a *need* for "running" without
a terminal?  Anyone suggest some.

If there are enough to make it worthwhile then some way of selecting
run with/without a terminal may be possible, although it may require
special handling on Windows which I can't do.