[Geany-devel] Patch for Markdown syntax support.

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Mon Aug 24 21:01:15 UTC 2009

On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 16:46:07 +0100, Nick wrote:

>On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 15:54:44 -0700
>Jon Strait <jstrait at moonloop.net> wrote:
>
>> > But because we update Scintilla regularly we try to push
>> > modifications upstream; can you try to get the Scintilla changes
>> > into the standard Scintilla release please?
>>
>> I sent a patch for Scintilla to the project lead.
>
>OK, thanks, did he say he'll commit it then?
>
>> Some extra warnings
>> were thrown on my code when building for Scintilla, which were quite
>> nice to have, and I don't remember seeing them when I built for
>> Geany.
>
>Not sure how to enable warnings by default for gcc/g++ in a portable
>way, but I'm no autotools guru.

It's not really about autotools but more about which compiler to use.
Not everyone is using gcc/g++ and other compilers don't necessarily
understand the same command line options as gcc/g++ (besides the
pseudo-standard options like -c, -o and -g).
IIRC Scintilla's Makefile is assuming g++ is available which we don't
do in Geany. Using appropriate compiler flags to trigger warnings is in
the responsibility of the developer, I think. That is, if you personally
want more warnings, define them using the global CFLAGS environment
variable for example. At least this is what I do and I'm happy with this
concept and it doesn't break the build for users with other compilers.

Last but not least with regards to compiling Scintilla in Geany, we
just *use* Scintilla here, so we don't care so much about warnings. We
don't actively develop Scintilla except for a few patches here and
there. In contrary, for the Geany code itself we (i.e. Nick and me) use
a good set of specific gcc options to trigger various warnings.