[Geany-devel] compiling a C/C++ header (Re: C/C++ Header filetypes)

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Mon Nov 17 17:14:26 UTC 2008

Hi,

On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 14:23:47 +1100
"Lex Trotman" <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:

> 3. Use custom commands, but we still have the two commands problem
> from the item above and this is something that Geany really should
> offer its users as standard, not requiring them to configure it.
>
> 4. Use project/user preference commands.  Now unwanted commands are
> visible on all languages which is worse, and we have the same problem
> that it should be standard.

My thoughts are that for a compile header command, this can be an
_extra_ build command, so not losing compile, build, etc. As I
originally said, ideally we wouldn't limit how many commands the user
can run, it's up to them.

So, _if_ compiling a header is a generic command for a filetype, have
an extra build command configured for the C++ filetype (and C if you
want).

But more likely, compiling a header requires the include arguments for
library headers, etc, so it would make more sense as an extra project
command.

But either of these can work with a simple build system. The only
disadvantage I can see is that you would have to remember to use a
different command from the usual compile/build/whatever you use for
source files. But I think this is reasonable.

Regards,
Nick