[Geany-devel] compiling a C/C++ header (Re: C/C++ Header filetypes)

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Mon Nov 17 21:56:09 UTC 2008

On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 17:14:26 +0000, Nick Treleaven
<nick.treleaven at btinternet.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 14:23:47 +1100
>"Lex Trotman" <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> 3. Use custom commands, but we still have the two commands problem
>> from the item above and this is something that Geany really should
>> offer its users as standard, not requiring them to configure it.
>>
>> 4. Use project/user preference commands.  Now unwanted commands are
>> visible on all languages which is worse, and we have the same problem
>> that it should be standard.
>
>My thoughts are that for a compile header command, this can be an
>_extra_ build command, so not losing compile, build, etc. As I
>originally said, ideally we wouldn't limit how many commands the user
>can run, it's up to them.
>
>So, _if_ compiling a header is a generic command for a filetype, have
>an extra build command configured for the C++ filetype (and C if you
>want).
>
>But more likely, compiling a header requires the include arguments for
>library headers, etc, so it would make more sense as an extra project
>command.
>
>But either of these can work with a simple build system. The only
>disadvantage I can see is that you would have to remember to use a
>different command from the usual compile/build/whatever you use for
>source files. But I think this is reasonable.

I fully agree on this. This is basically what I suggested yesterday
(except for that I thought of using a header compile command as one
of filetype commands and not project commands).