[Geany-devel] Committed Project Build Commands to build-system branch

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Mon Nov 10 17:08:09 UTC 2008

On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 14:10:04 +1100, "Lex Trotman" <elextr at gmail.com>
wrote:

>filetypes_detect_from_file_internal() that looks for shebangs to look
>for "C++" anywhere in line one.  This will detect the emacs -*-C++-*-
>sequence or similar.  On my system at least, all the C++ standard

I'm not completely happy with this but if we can limit this check to
the first or the first both lines it might be worth. But I think we
shouldn't do much more to guess a C++ file. Especially for the C++
includes without file extensions, it's simply hard to detect them and
users should understand that there are limits (remember, the more we
guess, the slower gets the whole file opening process).

>compile that does a syntax check, since I seem to spend as long
>getting compile errors out of headers as I do bodies, making them
>compile before I use them would be helpful.  This of course requires
>different commands for C++ and C so they need to be different
>filetypes.

Wow, is it really necessary to be able to compile header files? I don't
see the advantage as you get the same compiler errors and warning in
header files when compiling one of the source files which include them.

>In reaching the above understanding I noticed that filetype.c has
>'class' in its keywords, this isn't a C keyword.

Thanks for the pointer, this is indeed wrong as well as 'new' and
'delete' which also are C++ only keywords. I'll remove those later.