[Geany-devel] Vala file type & co

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Wed Nov 5 12:08:33 UTC 2008

On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 00:55:05 +0100
Colomban Wendling <ban-ubuntu at club-internet.fr> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I try to add Vala support in Geany in a better way than just use C#
> filetype & co.

Thanks, we'll likely commit it soon.

>  * usable tag manager (well, most of the work)
>
> For now, the tag manager seems to work correctly. It is small add-ons
> over C one, as C# one does.

Cool. (It reminds me that we should add the D keywords also instead of
sharing C++).

> The main leak is I've not written a custom tag list.
> What is not perfect:
>  * Interfaces are shown as "Structs/Typedefs";
>  * Properties are shown as Members (hack in code because properties
> are not shown at all);
>  * Signals are handled as simple functions. This is not really
> annoying, but it may be better to have separate tag list.
> And Exception types are shown as named enums, but this don't hurt me;
> should it?

It should be quite easy for us to make these changes for the symbol
list.

> Note that I am not a Vala power-user or a filetype-writing God, and
> the main reason I would to write a Vala mode for Geany is to learn
> Vala, then perhaps I made mistakes. If you see so, tell it to me,
> I'll learn :)

We sometimes make mistakes, and some bugs can only be found after much
testing. No one's perfect ;-) Probably it's less buggy than using the
C# filetype for vala files (this was just a workaround).

Regards,
Nick