[Geany] [BUG] show/hide hidden files in "Open" and "Save" file dialogs

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Sat Jan 19 09:31:42 UTC 2008

On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 22:57:29 -0500, "John Gabriele" <jmg3000 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> There seems to be some inconsistencies in both the "Open" and the
> "Save" file dialogs, and at least one weird bug.
>
> The Open dialog:
>
> The Open dialog shows a checkbox to "Show hidden files". You can use
> either this checkbox, or else you can right-click in the main pane to
> show/hide hidden files. One small issue I notice is that when I use
> the right-click method of changing the hidden-file view, the lower
> checkbox does not get updated until I click in the main pane. Not a
> big deal at all, and everything else here works, but I thought I'd
> mention it.
Yes, this is a known problem since the additional checkbox exists. The
checkbox in the popup menu on a right-click is provided by GTK and is
always there. The checkbox in the lower left corner of the dialog was
added by me because I think it's more intuitive and easier to use than
the popup menu. Unfortunately, there is no way to really sync the value
when it was changed using the GTK popup menu. So, we check the value on
every click in the main pane. That's the best we can do though it's not
ideal.

> The Save dialog:
>
> The Save dialog differs from the Open dialog. It has a checkbox in the
> dialog for "Open file in new tab", which doesn't seem to apply here
> (since we're saving a file, not opening one). Checking this checkbox
It is intented to keep the current file with its current name open and
save the contents of this file into a new one(Save As) and instead of
changing the filename in the tab in Geany, a new tab is opened. So,
afterwards you have two files with the same content with different
filenames and/or locations.

> grays out the "Rename" button (it's not entirely obvious to me why
It grays out the Rename button because these two actions are
oppositional. I describe it below after I explained why there is a
Rename button.

> there's a Rename button in the save dialog ... if I wanted to rename
> the file, I'd use "File --> Save as", no?).
"Save as" would rename the file in Geany, i.e. the filename of the tab
in Geany is changed. But on the disk, there are now two files: the old
one and the new one. The idea of the Rename button is to really Rename
the file, also on disk. So, you have file "a" opened in Geany and choose
"Save as", type a new name e.g. "b" and hit Rename, it will remove file
"a" from disk and create file "b". Within Geany, there is no difference
between pure "Save as" and "Rename".
And now it should be clear why "Open file in new tab" grays out the
Rename button: if you want to *keep* the old file opened in Geany and
want to save it additionally in a new file, it doesn't make any sense
to remove the original file which you want to keep opened.
(both options were requested by users, if it is too confusing, just
ignore the rename button and use 'mv' on the command line like me ;-))

> The Save dialog (bigger bug):
>
> If I create a new file (Ctrl-N), type a few characters (or not), then
> go to save it (Ctrl-S), in that save dialog, if I then right-click to
> show/hide hidden files, toggling it on and off then shows me *only*
> files and directories starting with a dot (opposite of what's
> expected). This bug only happens when the dialog starts of showing me
> hidden files (that is, if I previously had told it to show me hidden
> files).
I can't reproduce this. Anyone else see this bug?
It might be this is/was a GTK bug and was fixed in the meantime. I'm
using GTK 2.12.1, maybe in an older version this is buggy. In the
Save-As dialog we don't do anything with the 'show hidden files'
option, this is the original GTK behaviour.