[Geany] Scripting language for plug-ins

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Fri Jan 11 13:55:22 UTC 2008

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 17:04:03 -0600, "Jeff Pohlmeyer"
<yetanothergeek at gmail.com> wrote:

> [integrate GeanyLua into Geany]
> A few minor issues come to mind:
>
> * The code is formatted a bit differently than the Geany
>   "standard". I am mostly accustomed to using a two-space
>   indent and although I used tabs for the geanylua code,
>   my tab width is set at two, so the code looks pretty bad
>   if you look at with tabwidth=4.
No problem for me.

> * There are a few other differences in our coding styles.
>   For me, if something is NULL then it's false, so you
>   won't find a lot of "if (something != NULL)" in my code
>   it's just "if (something)". I also tend to use *lots* of
Most people do this, but for some reason I personally don't like it
very much. I can't really give a concrete reason, that's just the way it
is. But it really doesn't matter.

> * The documentation is hand edited HTML, I tried to make
>   it look similar to the Lua docs, I'm not sure how well
>   it would "fit" with the Geany docs.
Does it have to? Ok, it would be nice if all docs would look like the
same but either we play a bit with the CSS or we just skip it. The most
important thing is that docs exist and are usuable. The look is a
secondary goal, IMO.

> Also, there is no Win32 makefile for geanylua. The windows
> build uses autotools just like the rest. I know there are
> good and bad points to both approaches, but IMO the main
> purpose of autotools is to provide cross platform support.
I'm interested in how to use the autotools on Windows? Is there
any way to use them without cygwin?

> Having said all that, I think there are also some big
> advantages to having the two projects more closely
> integrated. There is a horrible kludge in my configure.in
Without any doubt.

> I'm sure there will still be some other points to work out,
> but nothing we can't handle...
E.g. whether to wait until after the next release or to push it
immediately into it.