[Geany] Scripting language for plug-ins

Jeff Pohlmeyer yetanothergeek at xxxxx
Fri Jan 11 22:05:54 UTC 2008

On Jan 11, 2008 7:55 AM, Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 17:04:03 -0600, "Jeff Pohlmeyer"
> <yetanothergeek at gmail.com> wrote:

> > For me, if something is NULL then it's false, so you
> > won't find a lot of "if (something != NULL)" in my
> > code  it's just "if (something)".

> Most people do this, but for some reason I personally
> don't like it very much. I can't really give a concrete
> reason, that's just the way it is.

You are certainly not alone, some projects *insist* on
using the explicit ==NULL or !=NULL, so I just wanted
to make sure.

{
 Completely off-topic, but there is a big "gotcha" in Lua,
 zero is considered a valid number and evaluates to TRUE.
 e.g. if(not N) and if(N==0) mean two different things.
}

> > * The documentation is hand edited HTML, I tried to make
> >   it look similar to the Lua docs, I'm not sure how well
> >   it would "fit" with the Geany docs.

> Does it have to? Ok, it would be nice if all docs would look
> like the same but either we play a bit with the CSS or we just
> skip it. The most important thing is that docs exist and are
> usuable.

I say we just don't worry about it. Most beginning script
writers will probably be bouncing mostly between the geanylua
docs and the Lua docs anyway, at least that was my reasoning.

> I'm interested in how to use the autotools on Windows?
> Is there any way to use them without cygwin?

I ran the "bootstrap" autotools setup for geanylua on SuSE,
but the resulting ./configure script worked for me with
mingw-cross for Linux, and mingw+msys on win98 and Win2k.

The main problem I ran into is that libtool complains about
undefined references and refuses to build the DLL. But it
doesn't generate an error, so I added a target to call the
linker on its own which seems to work fine. The catch there
is that you have build the target explicitly by saying
"make win32"

You can search "mingw" in my "configure.in" to get a general
idea of what I did, but of course, Geany is a lot more complex
project, so your mileage may vary.

> > I'm sure there will still be some other points to work out,
> > but nothing we can't handle...

> E.g. whether to wait until after the next release or to
> push it immediately into it.

I have some bug fixes and a couple of new features that I
haven't released yet. I'll try to give the code one more
good cleanup and then upload it to my site in the next
couple of days. After that you can decide when you want to
perform the transplant surgery.

 - Jeff