[Geany] Pondering Possible Python Plugin

Jeff Pohlmeyer yetanothergeek at xxxxx
Wed Jan 9 19:46:07 UTC 2008

On Jan 9, 2008 7:56 AM, Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:

> Huh, C -> Python -> Lua? I guess there are better ways to waste CPU
> time ;-). Maybe "cat /dev/urandom | bzip2 >/dev/null".

I'm not so sure it would be that much of a problem, most scripts probably
won't be doing a lot of lengthy CPU-intensive operations anyway, especially
when compared to all the refreshing/repainting/signal-handling work that a
GUI application is doing anyway.

The advantage is that the interface is already defined and documented.

Starting from scratch with a Python plugin, I guess you would have
three options:

* Generate a "raw" binding to the plugin API, exposing all the messy details
 to script authors.

* Start from scratch with your own higher-level wrapper around the
  plugin API.

* Model the Python plugin after the Lua one, possibly some things might
  even be usable as-is, or with some modification. At least the
  documentation would probably only need some minor changes.

* Some combination of the above three routes.

 - Jeff