[Geany] Common SVN repository for plugins

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Wed Jan 9 14:19:20 UTC 2008

On Sun, 6 Jan 2008 22:32:55 -0600, "Jeff Pohlmeyer"
<yetanothergeek at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jan 6, 2008 10:27 AM, Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de>
> wrote:
>
> > But maybe there is another, better solution for all
> > this. Maybe by creating an extra SF project explicitly
> > for Geany plugins.
>
> Yes, I thought about that too - the Lazarus project has
> something similar: http://lazarus-ccr.sourceforge.net/
>
> That would at least solve the problem of protecting the
> Geany code base, but it still isn't a 100% fix since it
> plugin authors would still have commit access to each
> other's code, and someone would still have the nasty
> job of deciding which projects have enough "merit" to
> be allowed into the repository.
I finally remember where my optimism is based on that a common,
separate repository for different plugin authors may work: the Xfce
Goodies project. Anyone who want to write and publish a Goodie(Xfce
speak for addon) can register an account and get (after human approval
AFAIK) a subversion account to the Goodie repository where he or she
can commit code. And it works, I read the goodie-commits mailing list
and I have also access to this repository. At least in the past two
years, I didn't noticed any misuse by anyone. In contrary, the common
write access has also advantages(at least a few):
I wrote a plugin for the Xfce panel, committed my code into the
repository and some days later the first users contributed translations
to the Xfce-i18n mailing list. The responsible translation supervisors
committed the translations into my plugin's po directory without I had
anything to do. And by commit mails and careful reading of svn log's an
author can reproduce what have been done in the repository.

This is not meant to be the ultimate, last word. I just want to
mention it may work and is not doomed by default ;-).
But as long as nobody says something like "yes, I want to use it" there
isn't much need to further talk about it.
I don't care, it was just a try to help developers.