[Geany] Common SVN repository for plugins

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Mon Jan 7 13:26:55 UTC 2008

On Sun, 6 Jan 2008 17:27:08 +0100
Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:

[...]
> I just had a look at the admin area on SF and I can only give SVn
> write access to SF users but I can't say user John is allowed to
> write in directory geany_plugins and user Jane is allowed to write in
> directory geany. If one has write access, he has write access to the
> whole repository.
[...]
> But
> maybe there is another, better solution for all this. Maybe by
> creating an extra SF project explicitly for Geany plugins. Or we just
> forget all about this and every plugin author has to decide on its
> own whether and where he use a version control system.

I think it would be better to have a geany-plugins type project than
give some plugin authors write access to Geany. Just because it would
be quite tempting to add something to the plugin API that a plugin
needed, that wasn't the best function to be there (maybe it needs
tidying up, less arguments or to be more flexible, or just not the best
way of doing something).

It would still be up to plugin authors whether they use it or not,
but the advantages would be that it might encourage people to use
version control, and there would be the possibility of us core
developers to fix compatibility issues.

Regards,
Nick