[Geany] Common SVN repository for plugins

Frank Lanitz linux at xxxxx
Sat Jan 5 14:10:04 UTC 2008

Hi,

On Fri, 4 Jan 2008 13:00:57 +0000
Nick Treleaven <nick.treleaven at btinternet.com> wrote:

> I don't think that fits in the core of Geany, and it would be a lot of
> work. One major show stopper would be that on Linux you can't just
> install a binary plugin (or at least not with a lot of expertise) that
> will work across different distributions, versions of glibc, etc.

You have to think about, that there not only Linux-users outside, but
also users of some strange operationg systems like Windows, AIX,
Solaris, MacOS, OS/2, BeOS, Zeta, NetBSD, FeeBSD, OpenBSD .... We are
not using JAVA, Mono or any other bytecode-interpreter language. So I'd
suppose to distribute plugins in a suitable way, that users are able to
use package managing system of their distribution like apt or yast.

But if there will be a big number of Lua plugins or maybe in future some
written in Python I could imagine to have some kind of plugin manager
allowing downloading of plugins from a central server. But not for
plugins written in C.

Frank