[Geany-Users] Themes: Authoring & Editing

rhkramer at gmail.com rhkramer at xxxxx
Mon Oct 4 18:07:45 UTC 2021

On Monday, October 04, 2021 01:08:29 PM Alan Becker wrote:
> Unfortunately, my eyes are old, and none of the dark themes
> seemed to provide enough contrast to be readily readable for me.

(Commenting from the peanut gallery:) I assume you've tried some of the non-
dark themes also?  I'm old, with old eyes, and learned to read and have always
read black (or dark) text on white (or light) backgroundand just cannot deal
with "dark themes".

Further, at least at one time there was an error propagated nearly everywhere
(at least everywhere that I was aware of) in that the anti-aliasing software
used to make text characters look smooth was biased to dark -- it worked fine
for dark text on a light background, but for light text on a dark background
it made too many pixels match the background (dark) instead of the text /
foreground, thus  making text even harder to see in a dark theme.

I still see this effect some places (e.g., some web pages).