[Geany-Users] Trouble with setting latex custom build commands

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Mon Nov 29 23:59:05 UTC 2021

On Tue, 30 Nov 2021 at 08:42, Łukasz Grabowski <graboluk at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > The way I do it is I just copy the standard geany command, and
> > > replace "%f" with "main.tex", as in the screenshot here for the
> > > command "make main.tex":
> > > https://maths.lancs.ac.uk/grabows1/web/files/1.png
> > >
> > > However I never get anywhere with it - if I run the command the
> > > compiler window just lists the command like in this screenshot:
> > > https://maths.lancs.ac.uk/grabows1/web/files/2.png
> > > and nothing ever happens.
> >
> > Is main.tex in the directory listed in the message window after the
> > command?
>
> Yes, it is. But this gave me a push to try not putting "%d" at all in
> the working directory field, lo and behold, now it works.

Not sure why that works since an empty wd field defaults to the same
as %d, note %d is the directory of the currently open file, so if you
don't have main.tex open it might not be right.

> It might be a bug or something very counterintuitive - I'm 100% sure
> that the file main.tex is in the directory listed in the message
> window, and I'm 100% sure that the file path is as in the screenshot,
> i.e. just main.tex, not the full path to main.tex etc.  But perhaps
> geany passes the full path to the command?

If you have hard coded something into the command it won't get
changed, only changes are to the % placeholders.

Geany prints the command exactly as it is executed (this allows
debugging quotes issues) and the working dir in parens after.