[Geany-Users] Future of the IRC ...

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Wed Jun 16 09:30:02 UTC 2021

On Wed, 16 Jun 2021 at 19:05, Thomas Martitz <kugel at rockbox.org> wrote:

> Am 15.06.21 um 23:28 schrieb Enrico Tröger:
> > On 15.06.21 14:07, Lex Trotman wrote:
> >> "To start chatting on Matrix you’ll need to sign up for a user
> >> account." -- Matrix intro
> >>
> >> So its the same thing, just a different place, users will still have
> >> to make yet another account.
> >>
> >> [...]
> >>
> >> Organisations like Mozilla and Gnome seem to be running their own
> >> servers, but as Enrico said, that will only happen for Geany if
> >> someone does it _and maintains it_ ... and not just for his suggested
> >> three weeks ;-)
> > Exactly.
> > If anyone wants to setup a <insert Matrix's term for a Geany related
> > group> and/or maybe even a bridge to IRC, feel free. I didn't mean to
> > stop anyone from doing so. Maybe it will be used like IRC before or even
> > more. Or not.
> > My only wish is that it should last a bit and, in my experience, hosting
> > once setup works pretty good and on its own once you setup it carefully.
> > But at some point something just breaks (for various reasons) and it
> > needs work. So it's always rather a marathon than a sprint.
> >
> > If anyone wants to build something like this or so, feel free to create
> > PR for the website to mention it.

Thanks Thomas but unfortunately you have given me even more questions
that the Matrix site doesn't answer (that I could find) :-S

> There seems to be some misconception. Matrix is a federated protocol.
> That means that there is no single instance that is the "host" of a
> #geany matrix channel.
>
> Anyone can open such a channel, and it will propagate to any Matrix
> server that "owns" clients that participate in the chat, and all of
> those servers have the entire history.

So how does a server get clients? Or perhaps its more how does a
client find a server?  If I want to join a channel what do I do?  Who
runs the servers?

So its like IRC in that all conversations on the #geany channel are
mixed together.  But unlike IRC the servers maintain the history?

> So there is no action required to keep the channel alive, as long as
> there are participating (even if idle) users.

How does the "federation" handle loss of servers? Are there IRC like
net splits? Or does it handle it all better?

> If you want to write a bot to get the history on geany.org, or to serve
> coffee and drinks, then that's another story. However, the protocol (and
> python API for it) has been stable in my personal experience.

Oh no, how can we possibly live without beverage service ;-)