[Geany-Users] Future of the IRC ...

Thomas Martitz kugel at xxxxx
Wed Jun 16 09:04:19 UTC 2021

Am 15.06.21 um 23:28 schrieb Enrico Tröger:
> On 15.06.21 14:07, Lex Trotman wrote:
>> On Tue, 15 Jun 2021 at 21:18, Peter Scholtens via Users
>> <users at lists.geany.org> wrote:
>>> As an FOSS project, one further requirement I would suggest is to *keep* using an open source and federated protocol. Obliging infrequent users to sign on to a developer site seems like a too high threshold to me.
>> "To start chatting on Matrix you’ll need to sign up for a user
>> account." -- Matrix intro
>>
>> So its the same thing, just a different place, users will still have
>> to make yet another account.
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> Organisations like Mozilla and Gnome seem to be running their own
>> servers, but as Enrico said, that will only happen for Geany if
>> someone does it _and maintains it_ ... and not just for his suggested
>> three weeks ;-)
> Exactly.
> If anyone wants to setup a <insert Matrix's term for a Geany related
> group> and/or maybe even a bridge to IRC, feel free. I didn't mean to
> stop anyone from doing so. Maybe it will be used like IRC before or even
> more. Or not.
> My only wish is that it should last a bit and, in my experience, hosting
> once setup works pretty good and on its own once you setup it carefully.
> But at some point something just breaks (for various reasons) and it
> needs work. So it's always rather a marathon than a sprint.
>
> If anyone wants to build something like this or so, feel free to create
> PR for the website to mention it.

There seems to be some misconception. Matrix is a federated protocol.
That means that there is no single instance that is the "host" of a
#geany matrix channel.

Anyone can open such a channel, and it will propagate to any Matrix
server that "owns" clients that participate in the chat, and all of
those servers have the entire history.

So there is no action required to keep the channel alive, as long as
there are participating (even if idle) users.

If you want to write a bot to get the history on geany.org, or to serve
coffee and drinks, then that's another story. However, the protocol (and
python API for it) has been stable in my personal experience.

Best regards.