[Geany-Users] Future of the IRC ...

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Tue Jun 15 10:46:41 UTC 2021

On Tue, 15 Jun 2021 at 17:44, Thomas Martitz <kugel at rockbox.org> wrote:

> Am 15.06.21 um 08:35 schrieb Lex Trotman:
> >
> > As I said above, IM of any sort is only really useful if enough people
> > are in the same time zone, and actually participating, but for a
> > project with low participation by "experts" it is a poor support
> > mechanism.
> >
> > Although maybe it is useful for the folks cooperating doing releases
> > (whatever happened to 1.38 BTW?)
> >

> Well, at least with IM chat rooms you automatically get the history to
> your clients while you went away, in that regard it's no worse than
> email or github.

Hmmm, possibly, as I've never used it I don't know how well it might
work for support.

It is also nice that github, discourse, zulip etc keep conversations
together, does it do that or mix them up like IRC does?

Anyhow whatever we decide, we need something that supports clients
without effort (like a browser not a specific client) and needs no
admin/maintenance effort since the Geany organisation has none
available as Enrico pointed out above.