[Geany-Users] underscores

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Sun Feb 7 01:09:36 UTC 2021

On Sun, 7 Feb 2021 at 10:49, Ray Andrews <rayandrews at eastlink.ca> wrote:

> On 2021-02-06 3:00 p.m., Lex Trotman wrote:
> > On Sun, 7 Feb 2021 at 01:09, angelo.moreschini at medident-sw.it
> > <angelo.moreschini at medident-sw.it> wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I also had this problem (the underscore does not appear in the text).
> >> After some research I realized that the fact is a consequence of the size of the characters, and by increasing the size of the characters, the underscore sign is clearly visible.
> > The issue is how fractional numbers are rounded to an integer number
> > of pixels for the line height, something about the Deva-Vu font
> > metrics and/or the positioning of the underscore in relation to them
> > when converted to the pixel size of the screen produce a line height
> > thats actually too small to include the underscore when rounded to
> > integer number of pixels, so the next line overwrites the underscore.
> >   So yes changing size changes the fraction and whether the rounded
> > line height is too small or just includes the underscore.   The
> > workaround in the issue does not need to change the size as it adds
> > extra pixels to the line height.
>
> Just asking: why is this not an issue for me?  As I mentioned, my
> underscore was too faint and too low, but it was always at least there.
> How can it be missing entirely?  Some font sizes were better than others
> tho.  Anway I now have the thing twice as fat and a wee bit higher so
> there's no missing it.

It sounds like it is actually a problem for you, "As I mentioned, my
underscore was too faint and too low" , too faint likely means its
anti-aliased so it occupies more than one pixel, so when some of it is
overwritten by the next line some still remains but that appears less
bright, and too low is the problem with the deja-vu font, its the
thing that locates the underscore but doesn't allow enough space in
the height for it.  When you use a larger font size (in points) a) you
actually leave more of the underscore because its bigger, and b) the
rounding to pixels may go up not down so the line is higher and there
is more space

But as I said, exactly what the outcome is depends critically on the
relationship between font measurements in points (1/72 of an inch) and
screen measurements in pixels which vary in size depending on the
screen resolution (8k 4k 2k FHD) and size 32" 27" 24" 15" 14" etc.
And then some systems have a fake pixel that is 1/96 inches so
Scintilla maps to that and the system maps to physical pixels which
means double the number of roundings.