[Geany-Users] automatically show "Read Only" when opening root owned

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Thu Oct 29 07:51:15 UTC 2020

On Thu, 29 Oct 2020 at 16:15, <bendov at gmx.com> wrote:

> On 9/12/20 9:00 PM, Lex Trotman wrote:
> > /With the styling and the status bar, they just show the document read
> > only setting so will not show anything if a system file is loaded, //*or are you saying they don't work if you set the document read only
> > in the UI?*/
> >
> > Cheers
> > Lex
> Meant to get back sooner - covid-19 & other stuff going on.
> In answer to your question (highlighted), yes, uh no, uh... maybe?
>
> I want Geany to automatically show if a file was opened w/o correct
> permissions to edit & save in same path, the way many editors do.
> In Geany, you have to *manually* go into a menu to mark it RO.  If you
> opened a file w/o correct permissions, it is read only, as far as
> editing & saving it to the same location.

So if somebody provides the code (which works on Windows and Linux and
OSX) to calculate if a file can be written to its original location,
not forgetting such things as SElinux and ACLs on Linux and Windows,
and how it will be used _without_ forcing the buffer to be read-only,
then we can look at it.

As I have said before just because the original location is not
writable does not mean a buffer should be readonly, a modified buffer
can always be saved elsewhere, and that capability is required for the
editing of Geany's own configuration settings.

> Apparently Geany doesn't have prefs to automatically change tab style
> for files opened as RO?

It does, and it is documented
https://www.geany.org/manual/current/index.html#customizing-geany-s-appearance-using-gtk-3-css.

> Many editors allow preferences to change tab BG and / or font color for
> files opened as RO.  The editors that offer such prefs, probably do it
> for a reason.

Whatever their reason is, it is irrelevant to Geany unless its
applicability is documented.